17 June 2014

Just some words…..

*I'm potty training Bea today.  And tomorrow.  And probably the next day too.  It's how we do it.  I     glue myself to her, give her salty snacks, lots of liquids and get her to the potty when she shows signs of needing to go.  It's exhausting.  I sit with her, follow her around, remind her to tell me when she needs to go, read books, sit with her some more.  There are no shows during potty training.  There is little cooking during potty training.  If I need to get something done, it needs to happen now, during nap time.  It turns out the things I need to get done today aren't my favorite, so I'm procrastinating.

I have mixed feelings about all of this.  On the one hand, I'm thrilled that we are finished with diapers.  There will still be a need for some night pants since I don't push night training and let their bodies figure it out in their own time.  But, no diapers is huge.  It's been over 8 years that we've had a line in our budget for diapers or night pants or both.  It won't be a huge difference from month to month but it is a chunk of change that will be able to be put towards something else, aka debt.  :) On the other hand, having all of my babies out of diapers means that all of my babies are growing up.  We aren't having any more babies and if we feel led to adopt it will be an older child.  My heart hurts with the knowledge  that my children are growing up and will only continue to do so.  It is the nature of things and I am loving parts of each stage but knowing that my littlest is growing bigger by leaps and bounds is hard on this momma's heart.

*We are settling into a summer routine.  We signed up for the summer reading program.  We've been to the park some.  We are trying to keep things cool around the house.  We are staying up too late and traveling to see my family and swim.  Things I wish we were doing better at…. watching fewer shows and movies, staying inside too much, not swimming more.

*I got my acceptance letter from K-State.  I was hoping to finish out a business degree in one year of really intense work but it looks like it might be longer.  I'm feeling a little sick about it but am letting go and watching to see what God has in store.  Same goes for the funding.  I don't want to take out more student loans for this.  I'm hoping to see some provision for this that passes what I or anyone could come up with on our own.

    

1 comment:

Timberley, Queen of Everything said...

Alice's teeny tiny feet are just so big now. She was standing on a book earlier today and I cried. It's been an emotional week due to who knows why. And the thought of potty training gives me heart palpitations. Why does watching them grow have to be so bittersweet?! Probably because I'm an emotional basket case. It's okay. Acceptance is key.

Congrats on the K-State acceptance! I'm toying with going back to school. That too gives me heart palpitations. ;)